Writing Intensive Course Approval Principles
Writing Intensive Courses follow two important learning principles:
- Students comprehend content better through writing, and
- Instructors support students’ writing growth by giving feedback and requiring revision.
Writing Intensive Course Requirements (Guidelines)
The course and instructor must meet each of the requirements below in order for a course to be approved as WI.
**You can access a printable version of the WI Course Requirements HERE.
Supplemental WI Course Guidelines and Policies
- Courses with “Writing” in Title or About Writing
- Distributed Curriculum Model and Guidelines
- Group Writing WI Guidelines
- Large Enrollment Writing Intensive Course Guidelines
- Online Self-Paced WI Course Guidelines
- Student Directed/Faculty-Guided WI Course Guidelines
The Guidelines and Proposals are adapted from those developed in 1984 by a University of Missouri-Columbia faculty task force under the leadership of Doug Hunt. The following guidelines were updated on April 29, 2019 by the Campus Writing Board.
Examples of Exemplary WI Proposals